Mowing Grass After One Month

Yesterday dad and I picked up some barbless wire after work. Dad had thought it was barbed wire, but when we got there it wasn't. We can still use the wire as a hot line or something else. It was the smokiest/haziest day that I think I have ever experienced due to the wild fires in Canada. When we got home my sisters and I went and checked traps. We caught one at the sugar shack, so I took care of it and then came to the farm. I fed the steers 10 scoops of grain and a bale of hay.

This morning I went outside and opened up the tin barn. I worked on replacing a piece that had worn off the mower deck which helps raise it. After I got it on and fixed, I began to mow the yard. Mel went around and picked up dog poop and also picked some raspberries that are coming in. I mowed all the grass at the house and then headed up to the farm. I mowed the entire yard up there and then did the ditch and sides of road between the houses. It is crazy that the last time I mowed was on May 27 and a month later, there are still very few grass clippings coming out the mower. After I finished I went inside for a little break. Paige and I later went and checked traps only to find them empty. I did however spook up 2 big turkeys and maybe a dozen baby turkeys which all flew away. We came home and then our neighbors stopped over, so we sat on the deck and talked with them for a little bit. Mr. Keith gave me a call and asked if I was able to help unload the grain bin, so I said yes and headed up there. I got there and put a face mask on and then climbed into the bin. It was super dusty and you could feel it when breathing still. I helped sweep the soy beans into the auger which was carrying them to the big auger to go onto the semi. I swept the beans that came over the auger and also helped move it along by pushing it a little. The semi came from Zeeland, and it holds roughly 1,800 bushels which is a lot. After the semi left, I sat and talked with Mr. Keith for a while. We saw a doe and three fawns cross the road right in front of us, and I got to see what Killdeer eggs look like for the first time. I left and came up to the farm and fed my steers 11 scoops of grain and a bale of hay and then came home. After dinner, I went and put some of my full flytraps in a trash bag and tossed them in the garbage. I filled water tanks at the pasture and also fed the cows some grain. I put out 2 new fly traps, and then went back to the farm and set a fly trap there and fed one more bale to them for the night. 




Comments