Square Baled First Cutting Hay

 

Today I went up to the farm and worked on getting the rest of the stuff ready to go. I used my tractor to move the last two hay wagons up to the shop, so I could grease and check tire pressures on them. I unloaded some other stuff that was left on one wagon, and then I put them back in the front yard. I got the 766 started and I backed up to our New Holland 855 round baler. I moved some stuff out of the way, and then I got hooked up to it. I pulled it out and backed it up to the shop so I could service it. I got the 784 started and unhooked the loader from the tractor in the barnyard before going and fueling it up. I drove out into the front yard and hooked up to the New Holland 310 square baler and attached a hay wagon to it. I got the PTO connect and made sure everything was good for the road, and then I took off for the back field. When I got there I got the baler set up. I had to pull a pin and drive forward with a block under the right side of the baler, so the baler would become offset for when baling the hay. That is so we don't drive on the hay; it puts the baler and wagon to the side. I went out into the field and checked the hay again and looked for more sticks to toss out. My cousin Henry gave me a ride back to the farm where I unhooked the brush hog and hooked up to the last wagon. I brought it over to the field and then he drove me back to the farm again. I worked on greasing up the round baler and hooking it up to the 766. I checked the tire pressure and made sure the twine was good. I came home for a short bit and then when dad got home, we went up to the farm. He looked over the round baler and saw that one wheel didn't have a hub cap, so I put a solo cup over it and taped it on to keep the dirt out of the bearings. Dad headed over to the field with the baler and I followed behind him.

Getting ready to square bale, we looked over the baler again and he noticed the twine didn't match the picture on the lid of how the twine should be going through the eyelet. I cut the twine and got it going the right way and then square knotted it back together. We started baling hay at 4:00 and baled until 6:05. We made 343 bales, and one of the wagon loads we had a guy come and take right off the field to unload. Dad brought back the square baler and a loaded wagon to the farm. I fed the cows some hay and grain and then came home for dinner. Paige drove me over to the field after and I raked the hillside into more smaller windrows so they weren't so wide. I brought the rake back to the farm and then dad and I looked at the hay up here to see what we have to do with it tomorrow. 




Comments