Raked Hay, Cut More Hay, and Had Another Calf

 

Today mom checked on the cows in the morning and everything was all good. When I went up later, I checked on them and found that heifer 103, Elly, had her calf. I was a little shocked to see it. I came home and got the BO-SE and drove back up. I gave Elly some grain outside and closed the gate. I gave the calf its shot and checked its heart girth which determines its weight. It was about 80 pounds and it was a bull calf. Every calf I have had this year has been a bull surprisingly. I iodined his naval and then let the cow back in. I threw in some extra straw and then fed some hay before going out to the shop. I ran a extension cord out to the corn planter and used a very old shop vac to suck out as much of the fertilizer as possible. I put it all into a bucket, and then I got on the 584 and headed down the road for the back hay field. I hooked up to the hay rake and then got it set up to go. I raked the hay into windrows and double windrowed the hill. The windrows help it dry more and also make it easier to bale up. It took me an hour and 45 minutes to do. 

I unhooked the rake in the fence line and then got ready to leave. Tommy Oesch was doing some work with his skid steer by the lake, when it started to sink in causing him to get stuck. I drove the tractor down to the bottom and put the clevis on the drawbar. We used a chain and hooked it up and I pulled the skid steer out which was easier that we thought. I headed back to the farm and put the tractor away. I came home and watched the weather to determine what we have to do. They say we have almost 0% for rain, so we headed up to the farm and dad got the haybine ready to go. Mel and Paige broke up all the zinnia heads, so we can plant all the seeds. I worked on taking the augers out of the corn planter from the fertilizer because they are just corroding away. Dad helped me get the pin that had rusted itself in out and we got the augers taken out. I blew out all the fertilizer I missed and then I worked on emptying out the corn from the seed bins. Dad started cutting hay at 5:45 and finished at 6:50 with the 5 acres on the front field. While he was mowing the hay, I hooked the 584 up to the brush hog and mowed down any of the tall grass that dad had missed because it was took close to stuff. I fed the cows hay at the farm and then brought up some grain for the cows in the pasture. I put away some stuff and then closed up the barns for the night. 





Comments

Post a Comment