Pasture Is Ready and Cows Went Out To Pasture

Tuesday I started off mowing grass at home. I worked on mowing around our burn pile and down by the crick when the belt slipped off the mower I was using. I brought it up to the house and worked on disconnecting the deck from the mower. I got the belt put back on and then tried putting it back on the hydraulic arms, but I was having a hard time lifting the deck and lining up the hole with the pin. I left it and got on the other mower to finish the job down there. We had some guys putting soffit vent in around our house, so I helped them pick up some of the insulation and debris that came out of the attic. I went and walked around our pasture with wire and tied up any white fence that was touching the bottom hot wire. I then turned on the fencer and went around and looked for any arcing and also making sure the fence had power. I used a pitchfork and had to touch the electric fence and a grounded piece of metal, which would allow for it to arc and let me know it was hot. I found one of the corners was arcing through the hose we used, so I shut the fence off and tried to fix it, but even after turning it back on, it was still doing it. Later at the farm I put Ivermectin on my cattle to deworm them. I then pressure washed out 2 of the big water tanks, so they were clean and ready to go down to the pasture. Dad helped me get the mower deck attached and then I mowed the farms yard. He help get the fence issue fixed by adding some more tubing around the outside of the hose. I got the 784 started and I forked the fence panels I had put up against the head chute. I brought them down to the pasture and lied them on the hillside and then came back to the farm. Mom drove her truck up and I put the 2 water tanks in the back and we put them in the pasture. I leveled out the ground and set them in place before filling them with water. After dinner, dad came up to the farm with me and we got the cow and calf separated, so we could band and tag him. We got him banded and then I put a green ear tag with the number 3 on it in his ear. We got the other 2 calves separated from the cows, and I also tagged their ears. 

I let the cow and calf be with the other cows now. Dad and I went on a mini bike ride around where he had brush hogged yesterday to see where he wants to put the new pasture up. Wednesday I went up to the farm with my Farmall C tractor and hooked up to our hay elevator in the field. I got the 584 started and brush hogged a strip of tall grass along the lane. I went out with a rake and wheel barrow and picked up all the grass clippings and fed them to the cows which they enjoyed. I then brought the elevator over to where I brush hogged and unhooked it. I then got on the 784 and went out to the field where the cycle bar mower was. I forked it up and carried it over to where I had cut the grass and set it down out of the way. 

I brought my tractor home and brought the side by side up and hooked up to the trailer. I drove along the fence line and began to pick up all the branches and sticks that dad had cut off the trees. I brought them all down to a big pile by the crick where we will have a fire some time. When dad got home, he went to get the livestock trailer and I went to the farm to get the cows and calves separated. When he got to the farm he backed up to the barn and opened the trailer door. We got the 3 cows and 3 calves moved onto the trailer and headed down to the pasture at the house. We got them backed up to the pasture and when we opened the door, they all took off running and were all happy to finally be on grass and open space. 





Comments