A Very Busy Weekend

This past week we have been very busy working around the house and farm. I have been lacking on posting about everything, so here's a summary of whats has gone on. 

Last week Friday (5/12) I worked on mowing both the house and the farm's yards which took a lot of time out of the day. I later got the 784 out and brought it down to the crick and hooked up to our cultimulcher which was somewhat in the field. I had to air up one of the tires and then I just pulled in into the yard for the moment. Mr. Keith planted the fields around our house, and then moved up the road to another field. I chauffeured him from his tractor back to his truck, so he did not have to walk a long distance. While Mr. Keith planted corn, his brother in-law Jim planted beans on the east side of the crick behind our house. I went down along the edge of the field and picked up branches and limbs that had fallen into the field, so he could plant there. Dad later brought the cultimulcher up to the garden where he unhooked it. I picked asparagus and put stuff away outside. 


Saturday I finished mowing grass in some spots I did not have time for yesterday. It sprinkled on and off through the day, but we managed to get all of our mulch out of the trailer and into the flower beds. We also extended one of our flower beds around where our old maple tree used to be before it got cut down. Dad cultimulched the garden which breaks up clumps of dirt and packs the ground. Dad and I weed whipped around the road signs on our road to make it look nicer. We had our first campfire that we sat around this year tonight with my grandparents. We also went through the woods and looked for mushrooms and picked some leeks. 



Sunday Dad and I ran the hot wire along the bottom fence in the pasture. Dad made his own Spinning Jenny out of a hunk of steel, steel rod, and an old metal wagon wheel. The high tensile wire sits on it and then spins allowing for us to pull off wire as we need it. We set the wire out loosely and then I ran to TSC to get some crimps. I stopped by Kirk's house and borrowed his crimper tool and then I came home to finish the job. We used hose as insulators around the corner and end posts which worked nicely. We crimped the wire together where two ends meet, or when looping it around one post to connect it. We then tightened up the wire with a tightener which is like a ratchet for wire. 


Monday I went along the sides of the road and mowed them. That took me 2 hours for the main stretch of road I mow, and then today I also started to mow for the first time this year, the other stretch of road south of our house which took another 1 hour 20 min. When I was mowing the right of way, Bruce Wingeier was out in the field next to it picking up sticks, so they could plant. I went and helped him by picking up all the giants pieces. A whole dead tree had fallen into the field, so there was some big hunks of wood to move out of the way. Today I also mowed the entire house's yard which was about 4 hours. It needed to be mowed because it is growing like crazy. Dad went around and brush hogged trails behind the farm and lane and also some of the tall grass along the road. 



Comments