Splitting Wood To Heat Our House Next Winter

Today after work I went over to our neighbor's house and walked around the field. I filled in all the woodchuck holes that were in the field and leveled out all the mounds of dirt from them. There was a lot of holes, so it took me a bit of time. In the meantime, dad worked on cutting up logs and then splitting them up into firewood to heat our house next winter. I stacked some of the split wood onto a rack which we will use to transport it. I went in the barn and fed the cows some hay and checked on them. I came up to the house later and then Paige and I went on a mini bike ride back to the woods. I saw we had caught another woodchuck which I took care of later. Paige and I rode through the woods and we found that the other hole on the hill had been dug out again. I came up to the farm later and got the scout from dad who was out on the fence line trimming up trees and cutting down brush. He says we will be fencing this off after first cutting so that the cows can use it as pasture, as they are eating the grass more quickly due to the amount I have. I went back to the woods and took care of the woodchuck and then I set the conibear back on the hill to catch another one. I came up and dad was just leaving the farm to go up to the house with the loader tractor and a kettle. I came up as well and we brought over a old metal ring which was used back then to house a fire. The kettle sits right on top of it and there are grooves for it to sit in. It is slightly too small, but it still works as lawn art. I came up to the farm and fed the cows 3 more bales of hay and then tossed down more straw. I bedded them and then headed home. Dad had to drop my sister off at her friend's house for an FFA skills contest thing tomorrow, so Paige and I went along and after we dropped her off, we drove around for a little while. On the way home we stopped at the farm and I tossed in their hay and fed them some ears of sweetcorn. We left and when I got home I put 10 pieces of wood on the fire. I sat on the deck and watched the storm coming in maybe 20 miles away from us as the sky lit up with lightning. 

The View Looking Across The Hay Field 

Comments