Happy Easter!

 

Today we got home at 4:00 in the morning from driving home. I went up to the farm at 7:30 and checked on the cows. I fed them hay that they had pushed out and fed Margie her scoop of grain. I threw down a bunch of bedding and spreaded it out in the pen. I filled two water tanks and then opened up all the barn doors to let the fresh air in. While we were gone, they got hit with lots of rain here, so today's temperature being in the upper 60s was really nice. I came home and made breakfast for everyone and then made a list of a things that need to get done. I went back up to the farm later and got the 784 started and went back behind the shop and moved some big skids and scrap metal out of the way from the roller. I unhooked the loader from the 784 in the barnyard and then Melanie helped me hook up to the roller. I brought it over to our front hay field and began to roll it. The cows went out on pasture in the field and we also had spread manure on it, so this helps flatten out any lumps and also pushes down any rocks that the frost had brought up. The rollers are all cast iron and rotate on one big metal shaft. Last year my dad and I put new wood bearings on it which required us to take everything off it. Mel went around the outside edges of the field and picked up any sticks and branches that had fallen into the field. The roller is very loud when rolling the fields because each individual wheel clanks up against one another and makes for some very loud noises. After I finished I also rolled some of the farm's yard, and then I fed the cows some hay bales and then came home. Dad had cleaned out the creosote from the wood burner, mom unloaded the truck and picked up dog poop in the yard, and Paige picked up sticks in the yard around the house. We had Easter dinner in Grand Rapids with family. When we came home, I went up to the farm and did chores for the night and closed up the barns. I came home and put 26 pieces of wood on the fire.  




Comments