Cleaned The Small Pen Out and Gave The Calf A Shot

 

Today I went up to the farm and found the new calf had jumped into the manger and out into the barn. Luckily I left the doors closed, otherwise it might have gone outside. It was laying down on a broken open straw bale. I picked it up and put it back in with the cow, and then I opened up their door to go outside and to let fresh air in. I fed the cows 4 square bales of hay and gave Margie her scoop of grain. I worked at the farm cleaning up the barn where the cows were and straightening stuff up. I got the the 784 tractor started and used the loader to carry a big metal "crate" over to the small pen that was the bigger of the two. The crate has all but one side on it, so I pitched almost all the straw and poop into it from the pen. It makes it so you don't have to lift it over the side of something to dump. Once that pen was cleaned out, I put the crate aside and came back to get a skid of wood and stuff that had been sitting on the floor for some time since I cleaned this pen out when Margie was calving. I put the tractor away and then swept up the ground and moved around some other stuff. I threw down some bales of straw and bedded the pen I just cleaned out, with one of the bales. Later in the day, dad helped me get Edie separated from her calf, and then I gave it its shot of BO-SE. The shot helps prevent white muscle disease in the calf. We then moved the calf and the cow over to the other pen that I cleaned out. I fed the cows another 2 bales of hay and fed Margie another scoop of grain before coming home. I put 33 pieces of wood on the fire. Before dark I came back up to check on everything and close up the barn doors for the night. I tossed back in any hay they tossed out. 



Comments

  1. New bull is big. Keeping your cows content

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment