Calves Got Their Shot Today

                                                 

This morning I walked up to the farm to check on the calves. They were laying down and so were all the other cows. I fed the cows a bunch of hay and then watched the calves for a little bit. I wanted to make sure the one calf that is a little slow was getting milk. After a bit, it was up and appeared to be getting some, so I got ready to come back home. I fed the cats on my way out, and then stoked the fire when I got home. I went back up to the farm shortly after I got back home because Kirk, who is a local farmer that raises registered Angus cattle, was going to stop by and look at the calves. I worked for a cow over at his farm, so he is the one that got me started in the cattle business. We talked about the cows and what to look for in the calves and cow and what to feed the cow so she keeps producing milk. After some more talking, he left and I came back home. After breakfast my dad and I came back up to the farm and waited for a lady to come and get some hay. We put 25 bales of hay onto her little trailer and then she left. I headed over to Kirk's house to pick up some BO-SE, which is a vaccine for the calves. He also gave me a bottle and nipple in case I need to bottle feed one of the calves. I stopped by the farm on the way home to see what dad was doing, and he was getting ready to head back to the woods to cut some wood for the shack. I came home and then later Paige went up to the farm with me to help. I gave the shot to the calves while Paige kept the cow occupied with some grain. After we got that all done, we watched the calves a little more as they tried nursing. Mel walked up to the farm as we were getting ready to leave, so she hopped in the car with us, and since it was a nice sunny day, we went for a ride around the block. We ended up stopping over to Paul and Ellen's house and talked with them for a while. When we left, we stopped by the farm and saw that the other calf that used to have a hard time getting up, was up and hopping around which is a good thing to see. We came home and I put 23 pieces of wood on the fire. Dad had brought up the trailer load of wood and parked it under the lean too. He had also cleaned out the wood burner's creosote build up again. My dad's cousin, Karen, stopped by and picked up her syrup which she had sold on Facebook for us. My sister and I went back up to the farm before dark and fed them all hay for the night and then petted the calves for a little bit. I bedded the small pen they were in with another bale just to add some more cushion and then came home for the night.







Comments