Prepping The Equipment for Baling

 

This morning I got my Farmall C tractor hooked up to the square baler. I brought it up to the farm and parked it in the driveway. I got the grease gun and began to go around the baler and grease up all the grease zerks. Some of the moving parts, such as little rollers, I greased using some lube spray. A farmer friend of ours, Mr. Crissman, stopped out to take a look at the cows in the barn. He says the oldest cow I got is not pregnant unfortunately, so she will be going to burger. We walked around the farm and he tought me a few things. After he left, my sisters and I went to check the hay in the back hay field. It was noon, but it still had that feeling of a little moisture in it. We went around the field and picked out any sticks we saw and some of them we found hiding in the windrows were really big, so good thing we got them out. Back at the farm, I brought the corn planter up to the house and put it in the tin barn so it was out of the way for now. Later Paige and I began to unload the hay wagons of all the stuff we had stored on them over the winter. We used an old little trailer to haul all the old steel wheels and stuff out back and then put all the other stuff onto a separate trailer which I backed inside the other barn. I hooked the 784 up to the first hay wagon and pulled it out into the yard and also the second one. We then got the loader put on the 784 and then I pulled out the double stacked wagons and Paige helped me down-stack them. You pick up the front axle and back away with it and then set it down before the back wheels get to the edge of the bottom wagon. I then picked it up in the middle from the side and Paige rolled the other wagon out from under it, so I could set it down. We then took hammers and went around each wagon and pounded in all the nail heads that had come up. I added a gallon of hydraulic oil to the 766 and filled it up with fuel. 

I drove the baler up to the shop and checked tire pressure and made sure everything looked good, before putting out in the front yard. I then brought one wagon at a time up to the shop where I checked the tire pressures and greased up the front zerks on the pivot and turning points. I did another wagon like that, and then Paige and I hooked the two of them up and drove them down the road to the back hay field with my tractor. Coming back along the crick, we found dad making a new path which will make it easier for driving things through. He tore out a bunch of little trees and shrubs to make the path. Later we went back to the woods with the side by side and a trailer to drop off the smoke stacks at the shack for the new arch. We loaded an old 300 gallon tank into the trailer and brought it up to the farm. I filled waters for my cows and fed them hay for the night.


Comments