Another Calf

This morning I went up to the farm to check on the cows, and when I got there I saw that cow 901, Edie, had had her calf. It was born overnight probably early in the morning. It was all dried off already and jumping around. I gave her some grain and Margie some too. While they were eating their grain, I measured the calf's chest circumference and found that it weighed about 83 pounds. It is another bull calf, so now I have two little bull calves. This one looks and is a bit taller than the other one, but that is because the other one had a twin, and did not receive all the nutrients like a single calf would have in the cow. I watched it for a while as it hopped around with lots of energy in the small pen. I threw in all the hay that was on the ground and then I came home to work on some stuff. Later I came back up and filled two water tanks, and I also let the cow and calf outside into the little fenced off area for them. They liked that because the sun warmed them up pretty quick. I sat down in the barn with the other calf for a bit until the tanks finished filling. I blew the hoses out and hung them up in the barn before coming home for a while. When dad got home I went up to the farm and we got the calf's naval iodined and then I threw in some more hay for them. Back at home Paige and I threw a frisbee around and then flew some kites while it was windy. Dad pressure washed the entire side by side and cleaned it all up at the farm. I went up and fed the cows some square bales of hay and grain for the night and then my dad's cousin and his kid had gone out walking the woods behind the farm and found a nice rack still attached to the skull. I closed the cow and new calf inside the barn for the night and then I came home. I put 24 pieces of wood on the fire. 


Comments

Post a Comment